Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Blood, Pus and Vinegar - A Spanish Civil War Scenario

Blood, Pus and Vinegar

In the middle of the Spanish Civil War, a scratch force of Nationalists rushes to garrison an isolated mountain convent against an advancing Republican column.

My last attempt at the Spanish Civil War in Delta Green starred the Republicans, so I decided write this one about the Nationalists.

At the end of the playtest game
  • The sneering Nazi got eaten by the wine blob.
  • The Falangist Doctor jumped off a bridge running away from knife wielding nuns and fell to his death.
  • The womanizing Italian and the Irish fascist with a heart of gold were "adopted" by the Zelatrices to replace Rector Tocino as their kept man, after he was killed by the Republicans. 
  • The Moroccan shock trooper fled into the mountains, to tell the Nationalist commander about the djinn of al-ghul that infested the monastery. The devoutly Catholic fascist leadership refused to believe the crazed Berber and his superstitious babbling about demons in the nunnery.
I had a lot of fun writing this one. After a certain point it really felt like it was writing itself. I was worried the "mass combat" would either be grueling or slaughter the players in the first couple rounds. One of the players said it was the most fun he'd had in a Delta Green combat encounter. I might love Interwar tanks a bit too much for my own good, but the T-26 is so cute! Even when they ended up being useless.

Look at the little radio railing around the turret! They usually broke or got shot off by machine gun fire. I'd credit the artist if I could read Cyrillic.

The nunsploitation angle is a cheap trick to shock and titillate. Cheap tricks are the best kind of trick. Only suckers pay retail. After the first playtest, I added motivations to the Nationalist pregens to make it clear that they're not nice people. I think the players already got it, but the last thing I want is to write some insipid morality fable about Catholicism vs Communism, or Catholicism vs Paganism, or Male Catholicism vs Female Catholicism.

For people who still don't want to play as a bunch of god damned fascists, the scenario has a quick play variant in the back where you take the role of Republicans instead. An economical reuse of the pregens from my previous attempt, which were everyone's favorite part of that scenario anyway.

The monster is taken from Castle Gargantua, a "megadungeon" written by Kabuki Kaiser. I haven't run it yet, but I'm thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment