Sunday, August 27, 2023

Corpse Reviver Variations

The Corpse Reviver #2 is one of my all time favorite drinks. But let's be honest, you barely notice the gin. Which got me wondering - what if we just replaced the gin with something else?
 

We'll use the same spec for all our taste tests.
  • 1oz Base Spirit (normally gin, here we replace with something else)
  • 1oz Orange Liqueur (we're using Blue Curacao because I ran out of Marnier and I don't have enough Dry Curacao left)
  • 1oz Cocchi Americano
  • 1oz Lemon Juice
  • Shake together with ice
  • Strain into glass
  • Add a drop of absinthe (Saint George) and express an orange twist overtop.
Let's revive some corpses.
 
RYE REVIVER
I used Old Granddad High Rye for this one. It tasted like bourbon does in a whiskey sour, sweet and fruity.

RUM REVIVER
For this we used Plantation Xaymaca, a Jamaican style rum. I was easily able to taste the rum funk through the other ingredients.

TEQUILA REVIVER
I used Manic Blanco for this one. The agave and light smoke were detectable through the other ingredients.

All three variations were noticeably better than a normal Corpse Reviver. You could taste the base spirit but they weren't harsh or overly dry. If you like a normal Corpse Reviver I recommend trying these variations. If you avoided drinking the normal one because you don't like gin, you can try these instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment