Sunday, April 25, 2021

Twelve Handmade Pregens for Delta Green

Twelve Handmade Pregens for Delta Green

Some explanatory text:

I made these characters because I wasn't happy with the pregens available for Delta Green.
  • The ones in Need to Know are... okay. But they aren't how I would create a character, and my rule is that I never give out a pregen I wouldn't want to play myself
  • The list of hundreds and hundreds of random Agents is great if you need a new character fast, but it's not something I'd hand a brand new player.
  • I admittedly haven't read the Agent Dossiers that came out a year or two ago, so those could be great and I wouldn't know.
I built these characters the way I build my own - very competent at their jobs, but with a good spread of secondary skills high enough to be useful. I've found that new players to a system are happy to be blown up, shot, eaten by monsters and go insane. But if their first exposure to a game is failing at everything they try because their character "can't do anything", they're going to disengage early. In my experience, giving out characters that are just slightly min/maxed also makes the players more confident, which makes them more willing to make stupid/bold moves that make the game fun.

Language skills are all left unassigned, so that the pregens can be used in any setting and still be useful. I favor letting the players leave them blank, with the option to "lock in" what language(s) the character speaks in-game as needed, writing it permanently on the sheet. If you don't want to do this, remind them to assign languages at the beginning of the session, or write them in yourself before the game based on the scenario you're running.

Each pregen comes with a full load of equipment suitable for their profession and role on the team. This cuts away the need for endless gear shopping, and gives the players confidence that they have what they need to do their jobs.

The pregens all come with instructions in the notes section on the back of the sheet. This includes details about the character's personality, tips for playing them, and any special mechanics that the player should know about. These are helpful because even experienced players usually forget things like using a first aid kit to get +20% on a First Aid roll.

Finally, some of the pregens (EASTER, RANDOLPH and ROBERT) know a single ritual. I added this after I noticed that the knowledge/academic based characters were barely getting picked compared to the ones with badges and guns. Knowing a magic spell is more fun than just having 10% in Unnatural, especially in a oneshot where that percentage is unlikely to increase to a useful level. If you don't want the characters to have spells, you can remove them from the "developments which affect home and family" section on the back side of the sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment